Careers at HAWS
Work for the “HAWS Cause!”
Applications can be obtained at:
701 Northview Road, Waukesha, WI 53188
Send resumes to:
HAWS/Shelter Director, PO Box 834, Waukesha, WI 53187-0834
When HAWS has an opening for employment, job descriptions are posted below. We look for individuals who have knowledge and experience with animals, are cooperative team players and interested in helping the shelter grow and develop. Our policy is to accept applications for open positions only.
Please check often for new employment opportunities!
HAWS Open Positions:
UPDATED: February 9, 2021
Behavior Department – Trainer
The Humane Animal Welfare Society (HAWS) is currently seeking Dog Training Instructors to join our Training Department. This is a part time position, reporting to HAWS’ Training Administrator and Behavior Department Manager. Full time hours possible. The ideal candidate is highly skilled and confident in canine handling and training, demonstrates excellent communication skills and is a flexible problem solver.
General Responsibilities include:
- Work with and take direction from the Training Administrator and Behavior Department manager to ensure the high quality of the Community Dog Training Class Program.
- Conduct canine behavior and training classes for adopters of shelter animals and other community pet owners. Work with Behavior Department Manager to mentor training class assistants.
- Promote the Program and shelter to clients attending classes, including promoting the missions and events of HAWS, additional classes in HAWS Dog U, and products sold in classes and at the shelter.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism inside and outside the classroom when representing the shelter.
A complete outline of duties/responsibilities is outlined here:
Position Announcement-Behavior Department Instructor 12-2020
- Requires a high school degree and/or at least 3 years of comparable direct and appropriate work.
- Requires a minimum of 4 years of animal handling, behavior and customer service.
- Must have a valid Wisconsin Drivers License and be insurable for HAWS vans.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work under pressure and under noisy conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work on feet for long periods of time; must be able to manage large dogs on a variety of floor surfaces safely.
- Must meet expectation of job through a flexible schedule including Saturday and/or Sunday hours regularly.
Submit a cover letter and resume to: