Get Involved by Volunteering!
Be a part of the HAWS cause!
As a non-profit organization, funding is always tight, and that is why volunteers play an important role. Volunteers allow us to offer high quality care to our animals while helping to contain costs. Criteria to become a HAWS Volunteer:
- Must be available to volunteer a minimum of three shifts per month and have the ability to volunteer for at least six months.
- Kids must be at least age 13. 13-15 year olds must partner with a parent or guardian. (An exception is Critter Club which has volunteering as part of the program. This is a program for middle school students.)
- 16-17 year olds may volunteer independently with parental consent
High School students or individuals with a community service requirement must contact the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss program requirements. See contact info at bottom of page.
At the information session you will:
- Learn about HAWS, our mission, and the services we provide for pets and people in our community!
- Learn about the various volunteer opportunities and how you can make a difference!
- Receive a shelter tour
- If you decide the program is a good fit you, you’ll complete a volunteer application and have an opportunity to register for training classes. Classes are the next step to get you started in the program.
We are currently accepting volunteers for the following positions:
- Friends of HAWS Fundraising Group
- Mobile Adoptions Assistant
- Dog Walker
- Dog Training Class Assistant
- Dog Handler in Monday Manners dog training classes
- Mod Squad™ Member (Behavior modification program for shelter dogs)
- Small Critter Cuddler and Small Critter Caregiver
- Cat Cuddler
- In-home Foster Caregiver – Dog foster homes especially needed!
- Kennel Assistant – mornings only
Can’t make a commitment to the volunteer program at this time? Too young to participate? There are other ways you can help!
- Join the Friends of HAWS fundraising group
- Become a Foster Caregiver
- Assist with Grounds & Garden spruce-up
- Start a HAWS wish list collection drive at work or school
- Friend us on Facebook & share HAWS news with your friends
- Make toys, blankets or home-baked training treats for the shelter animals
- Donate! Cash donations or items from our wish list make a big impact too!
- Middle School Students who join Critter Club volunteer as part of their membership benefits.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact Sara, Volunteer Coordinator, at 262-542-8851, x120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONGRATULATIONS TO HAWS’ 2015 VOLUNTEERS OF THE YEAR!
Back Row: Becca Christbaum, Suzanne Poisl, John Fischer, Tuesdee & Alexis Luce, Geno & Dawn Smith.
Front Row: Kim Emmerich, Kera Burish, Linda Hansen.
Donate to HAWS Today!
Volunteering Basics: Must be available to volunteer a minimum of three shifts per month and have the ability to volunteer for at least six months.
BE A PART OF THE HAWS CAUSE!
There are lots of ways YOU can help:
Friends of HAWS Fundraising Group
Dog Training Class Assistant
Small Critter Cuddlers & Caregivers
HAWS Welcomes Volunteers Ages 13-18 too!
Volunteer as a family! Ages 16 and older may work without adult supervision. Children ages 13-15 may work with a parent. Parents MUST attend the volunteer orientation with their children ages 13-15. Parents also must accompany those children while they are volunteering.
Please see our Education page for volunteer opportunities for children 12 and under.